Saturday 6 June 2015

How good things last - Featuring my first leather briefcase


The leather briefcase you see here is something that has been in the family for over twenty years. My mum bought it sometime in the early 1990s on a working trip to Germany. It was then used for a while by my dad. He then needed a bigger briefcase as this was relegated to occasional use. And When I started workin in 1997 I was a lowly legal executive in one of those large companies. Work was like any other corporate setup and I was at the beck and call of my superiors. At their mercy...... I was also paid quite little then. But at least I had a nice bag. 


This leather briefcase was used quite often during my tenure at that company. I used it for those trips to the company offices located in Kedah and Terengganu as well as on some meetings which require me to carry documents. Of course, back in the day its calf leather was a light shade of brown compared to what it is today. It has two gussets, two zip pockets - one front, one at the rear, two straps with quick release magnets and a center combination lock. Quite traditional looking too. I have also no idea where the shoulder strap went but it just looks proper holding it.

In fact, it has taken over twenty years for the leather to achieve this unique patina which you see. There has been almost no polishing or leather nourishment until quite recently as it had spent the last ten years or so stowed away in a cupboard back at my family home. I stopped using this bag as I did not require one most of the time and when I did, I had to carry more paperwork and that required a larger briefcase  with more than the double gussets that this one had (another Italian made one with about 4 gussets and in black - heavy as heck). 


About six months ago I brought it down for a look but forgot about it till earlier this week. I suppose this is due to the fact that work now is of a more casual in nature and the only reason for me to carry a bag these days is to send over documents to the accountants and company secretary or to carry my chequebook. Life is less hectic these days. So when I do carry a bag, it has been for the past two years or so, a simple messenger bag made out of canvas and leather. Less showy, less formal and very affordable too. I will write about it one of these days. 

But sometimes I think I should have better standards again. I had bought a new small tan Itallian leather briefcase during one of my more recent visits to Singapore but I then also remembered about this one and I have now decided to start using it again on rotation with my other bags. I think I should. Personally it's too good not to use something so rustic and as authentic as this.

I state again that I love the natural patina on this piece. The briefcase may not be some famous brand like Berluti, Swaine Adeney Brigg or Filson like what those style gurus and forumers harp about. It is branded as 'Cellini' and on the combination lock marked 'Made in Italy'. Generic Italian leather from twenty or so years ago. But look at what it has become. The interior is canvas and the colouring has started to flake off. Still perfectly usable without the lining colour though. There are some cracks on the edges but that's about it. But the patina is totally unique. 

And yes....all of this and its personal history is what makes this so much more than any other bag I've owned.






No comments:

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...