Wednesday 28 August 2019

Video Review: An Impromptu Review of Fortuna Shoes' Tasseled Loafers aka Jalan Sriwijaya Shoes


I actually shot this video at a Starbucks in Ara Damansara, Petaling Jaya. My friend, Azidi just got back from Bandung, Indonesia and he bought this pair of tasseled loafers from Fortuna Shoes there. If you guys have been following shoe forums here and there, you may have heard of them. PT Fortuna could be one of the best shoes ever produced by Indonesia in terms of quality and overseas exports.




Unfortunately, my friend decided to only bring one side. So this review is just on that one side. It still shows you the basic shoe. You can see the quality of the suede used, how the stacked leather heel looks and the insole too from the video. I must say that the shoe is quite impressive for something that cost 2.6million Rupiah. Or around RM800 after conversion. 


It seems to have the same standards as a pair of Loake 1880s. Or very slightly beneath it. But I think the insole seems to have more cushion than the pair of 1880s I own. So it could be more comfortable. The shape of the uppers is also quite unique. And yes, this is actually a whole cut loafer. Fortuna shoes have the talent and skill in doing so.

My friend was torn between this and another, over 3million Rupiah pair of patina-ed wholecuts. The issue was that he mostly does not need to dress formally for work and the pair of loafers would make more sense. He also has a pair of wholecuts he has not worn yet so another pair, in red or mahogany could also be what held him back ultimately. But he knows that Fortuna Shoes is just a short flight away. 

I must say that the shoes by Fortuna, aka Jalan Sriwijaya if sold in Isetan Tokyo are great value for money. They offer a lot of shoe for the price and if you do live in Southeast Asia or even Asia, heading down to Bandung makes a lot of sense. Although Ho Chi Minh offers a whole lot more in terms of shoes. So the competition is stiff.

Do note that Fortuna has finally decided to collaborate with an artisan and they have now added patina handiwork to their shoes if you want. Follow them on their Instagram to take a look actually - Search for Fortuna Shoes Official over on Instagram. 

As for the single shoe instead of a pair....well, better a review than none at all, right?







3 comments:

Ameer said...

Hi there, I read your posts on shoes and I thought you might can suggests some good stores or shoe shop. I'm staying at KL Malaysia. I'm planning on getting one bespoke coz on the rack shoes doesn't last that long for me. Planning to get simple as cap-toe oxford black if possible. But I'm not sure whether custom made shoe shop exists in Malaysia. Would appreciate one or two recommendation from experienced.

Fuzz said...

I would argue that Winson Shoemaker, also from Bandung, is the best shoemaker from Indonesia, or dare I say from South East Asia. They do handwelted construction, sleek last, tight bevelled waist. I bought handwelted museum crust leather split toe Derby with vibram topy and metal toe tap for USD 300 only. The only downside is its only MTO order so you would have have to wait few months.

Rigval Reza said...

Fuzz - not as good as the ones i see in Ho Chi Minh City. Winson do make hand welted shoes, but it looks like the people who work on Sagara shoes also. And their lasts are still quite traditional and not elongated or chiseled like the ones I see being done by the Vietnamese shoemakers. For me, it isn't just hand welting, but the overall finishing.

And when you see the Norwegese welting done by Fugashin first hand....then you can see what I mean.

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...