Monday 18 May 2015

A proper umbrella to use and to have

.
Most of us tend to take the umbrella for granted. We end up using free ones that we get from purchasing engine oil, cosmetics and other free gifts. Even if we end up buying one it is usually one that costs under RM15 like the one sold in the 7-Eleven stores nationwide. We usually buy one when we are caught out by the rain and there would not really be a thought in actually buying one for the sake of buying one. However, when one is seeking certain perfection in all aspects of their lives, even the simple umbrella must be a projection of one's persona. 



Personally, this holistic approach to life meant building up one's necessities and it was only a few years ago that I actually went and bought umbrellas that did not have some pharmacy, oil company or whatever retail product plastered on it. Of course I started out with those below RM20 umbrellas sold at convenience stores. Not the large golf type brollys mind you. These were the smaller, easier to carry standard sized ones with the usual waterproof polyester canopy, metal framework, plastic tip and a plastic handle. 

Wood for the shaft and handle - I kind of like the Oroton logo set on the handle too.


The thing about these brollys was that they are built a little too flimsy and the plastic handle is a little too brittle. I have actually broken one recently as it got stuck between the space bewteen the driver's seat and the door of my car. Anyway, it was good practice as when I was much younger I remember leaving umbrellas behind in coffeeshops, stores and friend's houses. So these unbranded umbrellas are useful. And since they did not have a logo that said 'engine oil' or something of that sort. It actually meant that the brolly I was using wasn't some freebie. 

Anyway, these days I have decided to take it another step further. Sometime ago I went and bought myself a proper wooden shaft umbrella. In fact I now own two. The two you see here are Made In China for Oroton, the Australian luxury product brand. It is quite a bargain in terms of price, slightly above RM200 but very much lower when 50-70% sales happen (at the stores in KLCC, One Utama and over at JPO). At least if you forget it or lose it, it does not cost RM1,000+ like if you went and bought a handmade Francesco Maglia brolly (you need to get that online from MrPorter.com or the equivalent - I still like searching for stuff I can see and view before purchasing).


The Oroton folding umbrella is machine made of course but it has a wooden shaft like traditional brollys of old. Having an umbrella that has a wooden tip, shaft and handle makes things seem slightly more special when you're holding it. There is a certain warmth unlike grasping the plastic handle of that run of the mill brolly. Then when you stare at the wooden shaft it radiates the same warmth that you wouldn't get if you look at a cold, polished steel shaft. 

The one in black sits onto the parcel shelf of my car usually, whilst the earlier, yellow coloured one would now go in the wife's car. It is said that a gentleman should have an umbrella in any colour as long as it is black (or navy blue). I don't like to limit myself to this rule as even something as simple as an umbrella could be used to reflect the mood one is  in. Well, maybe not a pink one. This mustard yellow is certainly acceptable in my eyes. Even with the Oroton logo on its canopy as it does tell me that the brolly isn't free. Of course, I do not deny that the black one with its branding details on the underside (and only limited to a few) is a much less conspicuous item fit for a gentleman. 

And so the Oroton umbrella works for me at this moment in time. It has all the traditional characteristics and it still priced relatively affordable yet still enhances the look of a gentleman when it is raining or when the sun is beating down hard. 

Until I feel the need to upgrade that is.




No comments:

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...