Wednesday 1 July 2015

Thomas Mason fabric for my latest shirt


I decided to commission a shirt using Thomas Mason shirting cloth this time. If you are aware, Thomas Mason is an Italian owned fabric brand that has roots in England. It now made in Italy to what some would say a very high standard. The best around. Or so they say. When you choose fabric from a brand like this it would be because of the quality associated with it. This means a certain grade of material as well as the weave, colour and also some heritage thrown in.


The thing about me is that when I commission a shirt at a tailor I would usually buy some fabric at the local cloth merchants located along Jalan T.A.R (where I would take my time perusing through their stock of sometimes unbranded rolls and rolls of material) or I would get the house fabric as recommended by the tailor. Usually these in-house stuff arent too bad. So I just do not mind.

I am never choosy but these days for shirting it must be 100% cotton (preferbly 2ply in nature) and it must be of the colour, pattern and if so, the texture (oxford pinpoint, satin, herringbone, etc.) that I am keen on. This time however, this more famously branded cloth was on offer. It would only cost be around RM400 for a bespoke shirt (paper patterns of my measurements are made aside from the usual measurements) and it would be done to my taste. It would normally cost RM800 from him and maybe a lot more from others. Oh, it's the pink stripes in the picture above.

It should be ready after the Id-ul Fitr celebrations. No hurry. These days it is addition after addition. My shirts seem to last a very long time. But one can never have too many dress shirts.

After that was the usual round of small talk, and looking through some suiting material. The cloth by Vitale Barberis Canonico is tempting. But that is for another day....

6 comments:

Azan said...

Hi there.

If i may ask, where do u get ur shirts tailored and where did u procure the Thomas Mason's and VBC?

Thanks.

Azan, KL

Rigval Reza said...

Hello,

My tailor received a number of Thomas Mason shirting material from his supplier. These were on offer. If not, prices would be up by a few hundred RM at the very least. Which is why I took the opportunity to make a shirt. My friend took two. What you see above was 2/3 of the stock. So it is very limited.

VBC also can be procured through him. I believe the supplier has his store in cheras.

Regards

Rigval Reza said...

Oh I forgot to mention. My tailor is a chap that's based in Ampang. He has a shop in Bukit Indah ampang but he is mainly based at his workshop in Bandar Baru Ampang. I go to both. As I use either his shop assistant or him.

FAIRUSNIZAM said...

Hi bro
I've just follow your blog recently and I found your writing is interesting.may i ask something.do u hv any idea how much do i need to pay,for a good basic 2ply poplin light blue shirt tailoring,through your tailor?i really need a few actually,as my built is not fit for the rtw shirt.tq sir

Rigval Reza said...

Hello

Thank you for following my blog.

Most tailors in and around the Klang Valley including mine would start at around RM280-300 for a full cotton shirt using house fabric. If you bring your own fabric he would charge in the region of RM180. I know some places in PJ charging RM210-220 also. This is about the going rate these days.

Regards

FAIRUSNIZAM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...