Thursday 17 November 2016

Of Combs - You need one of those proper ones eventually - featuring my Kent Brushes combs

These days I usually style my (usually short) hair using either my fingers or one of those combs which you get for free during your stay at a hotel. These are usually made out of plastic and somehow they tend to stick and snag when you use it to comb your hair. I have a few of these plastic combs lying around the bedroom and it actually didn't occur to me that I should get a proper comb. 


Usually no one really bothers with a proper comb. But after picking up one of those free plastic combs which I found in one of the drawers recently it actually was sharp and hurt when I used it. The teeth were too sharp and scraped the scalp. The teeth of the comb also could not loosen the snags in the hair easily and would actually pull off some hair whilst at it. Of course, being in the mid-40s losing hair can be a major problem. I decided to do some research and get a proper comb. 

I first found out that cheap or in my case free combs were made of plastic mouldings. The teeth would usually have been unfinished with parts of plastic sticking out or there would be microscopic jagged edges which would snag on hair instead of parting or loosening hair easily. Then some plastic combs could generate static and shock you whilst combing (only in cold, dry weather like winter - not very applicable here in the tropics). 

I also remembered the combs my grandfathers (yes both of them) and what my father used too. These were nice faux tortoise shell combs made out of acetate resin (plant based rubber/plastic) which looked good, could be moulded cleaner than any plastic and was static free. Actually they looked great.

And then there were the high end combs made out of horn. Especially by AbbyHorn These are the Rolls Royce of combs. Made usually out of ox horn and they looked utterly beautiful. Cost was a problem though. The dresser sized one with shipping from the UK would cost over RM220.00 due to the ridiculous levels of currency exchange here. But they are beautiful. Maybe when I have nothing else on my wishlist...

So I started hunting for a faux tortoise shell comb or actually any resin comb. I decided to try look around Petaling Jaya and Kuala Lumpur before ordering. I found that there was a hair product shop in the Atria shopping mall in PJ which stocked Kent Combs by Kent Brushes of the UK. This company could be the ultimate comb and brush company. They were established in the UK in 1777. A whole lot of heritage and experience in hair management.

No faux tortoise shell however. But they had the Professional Series which is for barbers and hairstylists. All black resin with gold printed lettering. I bought two. A SPC80 full length master barber's comb and a SPC85 pocket styling comb. Not the 'handmade' faux tortoise shell but still made out of resin. The packaging states that these combs are 'Made in Italy'. Most probably from the same factories that make those tortoise shell and black resin spectacle frames as they're the same material. 

Using a comb like these two are a better experience. Less snags and pulling. It glides through the hair easier than before. And the combs have a certain weight to it. More balanced too. Especially the longer Master Barber's comb.

I think this is the best RM13.00 (each) investment I've ever made in hair grooming in recent years. 

Note: I bought these combs with my own money. I usually do not review anything which isn't mine or if I have not seen it personally.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks to this post I managed to pick up the handmade faux tortoise shell st8, but I hope this series has the fine and medium gap together in one single come. Definitely enhanced the good hair day process.

Rigval Reza said...

Glad to be of help. Check out their website. I believe they have the fine and medium gap comb you're looking for.

Unknown said...

Hi, I've been searching everywhere for Kent combs where I can buy locally. Is the hair product shop still in Atria mall?

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...