Wednesday 25 November 2015

Neckties that belonged to my dad


The other day my mum gave me all, or most of my dad's neck ties. This was a collection dating from the 1970s, to the 1990s at the very least. It was an amazing treasure trove of ties that were from 4cm wide (must have been from the 1960s) to a whopping 10cm wide of the 1990s. The majority are those between 8-9cm and can be used if one wants to fill out the chest area unlike the current 5-6cm ties of today. It is harder to find ties like this today and I find it nicer to wear with those neapolitan styling that I like today. Note that even Rubinacci sells 8 cm wide ties today unlike the slimmer ones. This wider ties would make peacocking (if there is such a word) a much nicer thing.




There is a mix of printed and woven silk and made in the UK, Germany, Spain, Thailand, Italy and even the USA. No seven fold ties, all the usual 3-5 folds with or without lining (or with a very thin piece inside only - so that it is super soft and a very Italian thing usually). Vintage Dolce & Gabanna, ST Dupont, Valentino etc. There are also some polyester ties which I have set aside from the pile you see here. Whilst I do not wear ties as my profession does not require me to do so this is indeed a truly great inheritance for a person who likes dressing up yes? 

Now add this to my current collection of 30 or so ties I don't think I would need to buy another tie for the rest of my life. This is another reason why looking after things well allows another generation to benefit from it.

No comments:

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...