Monday 29 March 2021

Watch Sales / Production for 2020

Here is the global watch sales and profit numbers or production for 2020 (forgot the source but from a watch website). Anyway, just a thought on Rolex and Longines it sold the most watches in 2020. 

We used to think that their watches, even their basic Datejust or Oyster Perpetual models, were rare items making them hold their value. 

But actually Rolex is like gold. A commodity rather than something super rare. It isn't as every year Rolex sells more watches than any other brand out there. 

Its more in the demand and, like diamonds (which isn't as rare as we think -it is actually more of great marketing than anything) , everyone buys it  as status symbol (which is usually something of value). So, Rolex basically is a case of popularity and supply vs demand, and 800,000 watches a year is not sufficient. 

Of course you have the Submariner, Daytona, GMTmaster and other sports models that are the actual popular ones, but because everyone wants one, even the "lowly" Oyster is grabbed up. 
I can't complain because I am lucky enough to own one. Here is my 2005 14060m no-date Sub pictured beside my friend's newly acquired Omega Speedmaster Professional. 

Anyway, as for Longines, I was actually surprised that globally the brand sells a lot of watches. Here in Malaysia, the brand seems to fly under the radar and even a friend and I said that the brand isn't as popular as even Tissot or Tag Heuer.

It isn't the case from the numbers. I also forgot the fact that I remember reading a while ago that Longines sells in India and also China. So from there alone we know where the numbers come from. 

On the same note, I wouldn't mind having their Heritage diver. 

.... But its still way down on the wishlist of watches I want.

No comments:

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...