Wednesday 22 April 2015

Blazer or suit Jacket maintenance - What I do after each use


Suit jackets, sports coats and blazers need to be looked after after each and every time you put them on. I do not wear them often simply because I do not need to most of the time. Firstly, temperatures are usually above 34 degrees Celsius and the high humidity is a killer too. Secondly, business attire in Malaysia is acceptable if you put on a long sleeved shirt and a pair of trousers. A tie is sometimes required but if you work like me, only when necessary. Even in most instances I prefer an unstructured and unlined blazer sans tie. It looks better actually and even though you are covered up, at least you don't have a noose around your neck in this weather. Hot weather dress means less layering. And using the correct fabrics and clothing. 

So back to jacket maintenance. After I have worn the jacket or blazer I would put it back on its coat hanger, the proper curved ones, so that the fabric may recover from the use. 

But before that, make sure you remove all items from the pockets so that the fabric is not stressed by outside weights or anything. I then brush it down so that any dust or dirt sticking on it gets removed. this helps keep any permanent stains from happening as when you're brushing it, you tend to notice any bits and stains (if any). This may actually prevent you from sending it to the dry cleaners unnecessarily often (and you know that dry cleaning (if not done properly) will destroy the clothing. 

After that, it gets put on the hanger away from other clothing for at least a day..  This allows the jacket's fabric to recover. Fabrics need time to gain back its natural composure so sitting it on the hanger allows it to breathe and also de-humidify (from our sweat and odors) naturally. Some of the wrinkles and creases would also vanish (slightly) too. 

A woolen suit jacket may not require any more work and just stored away after this. But as the jacket you see in the photographs is a linen cotton mix (which means that wrinkles quite a bit), I usually use a steamer or iron (with water) to smoothen out the wrinkles slightly. It then sits for another night until its properly dry before I store it in its own suit cover after a final round of light brushing. If you don't have a suit cover for your suit or jacket, go get one. If you're in the Klang Valley, head over to Daiso and get one there. They're cheap at RM5 a piece. 

So it takes about two days before its stored away for its next use. Do all of the above and I see little of the dry cleaners until it is necessary. I suppose I am a bit fastidious in maintenance as I do believe making the things I have last awhile. This is making sure I get my money's worth and that something that is comfortable to wear lasts a long time before it needs replacing. In my case, it is more of an addition than a replacement. So the more the merrier. Fastidious maintenance is the key to this.



No comments:

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...