Wednesday 29 April 2015

How good things last and how some don't really stay the same - Featuring my Parker ballpoint pens

I have been using the stainless steel Parker Jotter ballpoint pen you see here in the photographs as my main pen for over a decade. Those that have been following my exploits would know that I posted about it here. 

It does not mean that I am a one pen person. I have others. I have fountain pens too (Lots of them). But I find the ballpoint pen practical for daily use especially when filling up those forms at the banks, where you need to apply some force to make sure the duplicates are legible. So aside from the fact that I dread the fact of losing one of my vintage Parker, Pelikan or MontBlanc pens I like having the very affordable Parker Jotter with me most of the time. 


But I have another Parker ballpoint pen which I also carry around. Call it a backup pen for those days when I may misplace the Jotter. It is a newer Parker from the Urban series of pens. I must have bought this around 2010. While I love how it looks like a Duofold of old at the top and clip, I have to say that I am not too happy using this pen to write. It weighs a fair bit more and feels a little unbalanced in my hand and fingers. It also has a grip that is far too wide to be able to grip properly. Maybe I have stubby fingers. But it does not sit nicely in my grip. 


The second issue I have is with the barrel of the pen. The top part is a brass cylinder with anodised blue colour on it. It has somehow from some wear on it. This could be due to it being put next to some coins and keys when it was out of the pocket. It is still useable. But it now has some 'patina' to it. I believe I should have bought the stainless steel version instead of the one with anodised colour (or black) on it.

But do note the Jotter. It has taken years of use in good stride. I believe it shall be useable for many decades to come.


2 comments:

Raye_L said...

Please share with us your fountain pens collection :-)

Rigval Reza said...

Hello,

I've just featured one of them http://amalaysianman.blogspot.my/2016/01/how-good-things-last-1970s-sterling.html

Regards

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...