Wednesday 15 April 2015

A visit to Kamal the tailor's workshop



I was at my tailor's workshop yesterday. Mr. Kamal, who is shown writing down measurement details for a suit that my friend Azidi wants made. I usually get things tailor made by Kamal's protege over at his shop in Bukit Indah, Ampang. 

One of the reasons I have chosen this small tailoring shop in Ampang is the personal touch given to me and the willingness to try new things and experiment on the clothing I want. Be it from a traditional Baju Melayu, to dress shirts, to trousers/pants and suits.



Even though the shop is small, he does have nice suiting material like this Drago Super 110s. Cloth from a proper Italian cloth mill. Very nice to the touch and would make a splendid suit. Not cheap though by normal Malaysian standards.

Anyway, we were at the workshop where the suit jackets are usually put together. You can ask for either the more affordable fused jackets (in demand due to affordability and due to the lack of use due to the weather here, would last a long time too) or traditional full or half canvassing at a price. But do take a look at the main photograph above. There are client's bespoke trousers and jacket measurements kept in the form of thick paper hanging all around the section where the photograph was taken. Some do so with tracing paper and keep them in folders - some older tailors still do this here in Kuala Lumpur. Not many of course. But he prefers this simpler setup, which still works. There are not many tailors who actually have their own total setup as there are a whole lot that send to other larger tailoring workshops here. His is bespoke. He measures and he cuts the cloth himself. Or his protege over at the shop too. This is why I use them.

Kamal was trained by one of the old masters who actually learnt from a veteran Malay tailor who actually went to Tailor & Cutter Academy in the UK sometime in the late 1960s and early 1970s. So he is well aware of most traditional Saville Row cuts and styles. Aside from that he also dissects lots of Italian suit jackets. He showed us two old and worn out Brioni jackets to explain us how things are done by Brioni.

When it comes to tailoring, it is good to have a tailor that allows you to get close and personal. It also allows me to compare different types of methods used by local tailors  It is actually quite rare to have a tailor who is aware of the traditional methods these days here in Malaysia.

As a footnote, I don't actually go around meeting various tailors and ordering new shirts, trousers or suits. That would be insane. I don't get paid to do this remember? I also still use a lot of ready to wear too if it suits me. So when it comes to tailors, I basically have one that I would use in Petaling Jaya and would use Kamal or his protege's services in Ampang. Sensible yes?

1 comment:

Thh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...