Wednesday 23 December 2015

For the larger men in Malaysia - Largest Ready to Wear sizes out there - UPDATED 13TH JAN 2016

Someone wrote to me a while ago on where I usually shop for larger size jackets. This is necessary as I am not a skinny chap but one who is built like a tree trunk (I have a 48inch chest and a 41inch waist...not very tiny at all) Tailoring is the best for me AND for most larger size gentlemen out there. But it is possible to find decent ready to wear items off the rack. This was my reply.

Which jacket or blazer are you referring to? I have posted a few of my jackets in the blog. Suits I have to wear a 58IT with a drop 6 (Drop: eg, jacket size 58 a drop 6 means trousers size 52 - Italian sizes are 58IT equal to 48UK approximately) or 46 or 48uk depending on fit/cut. Drop 7 above would be a tight fit. 

Sports Jackets / Blazers I wear anything between a 56-58IT drop 6 or 7 (if they have drop stated) / 46-48uk /  XL or XXL depending on cut.  Sleeves are altered of course. Sometimes, the waist too as I buy slightly larger like 48uk and slim it down to size or adjust the button point up front.

Or diet, which is hard and I seldom do since I like food quite a bit. 

Anyway, I have purchased sports jackets/ blazers from (some local some abroad)...here are sizes that they should have to assist your quest

Largest sizes available (not in any order and putting quality aside)

Brioni - 58IT for suits, up to 56IT for blazers, XXL for some sports jackets/coats (which cost RM20,000 or thereabouts if you are curious)

Boggi - 58IT for suits, sports jackets and blazers, two types of cut usually. Boutique at Suria KLCC 

Massimo Dutti - 58IT for suits and blazers),

Emernegildo Zegna - easily up to 62IT - these days the KL Boutiques bring in drop 7 for almost all their stuff) 

Polo Ralph Lauren - Largest is XXL which fits like a 58IT.

Marks and Spencer - 48UK max in malaysia - easily the best place for larger sized men to shop. Some of their limited run Italian fabric Collezione series are half canvassed and are pretty decent in my opinion.

Brooks Brothers - 46-48uk (46 being easier to find here in Malaysia)

Sacoor Brothers (their blazer size 58IT is the largest, 62IT for suits with a drop 7), 

TM Lewin - 46uk max size in malaysia

Hackett - who has sports jackets and suits up to 48UK.

Mango man - XXL usually which is 58IT, 

Canali at 58IT drop 6 or 7 for suits/ jackets

Hugo Boss - 56IT but I wouldn't recommend Hugo Boss..skinny lapels and somewhat overpriced for its construction, unless at their outlet store on heavy discount of course.

Tagliatore - sports jacket 58IT (rarely found locally)

I also have things tailor made here in Malaysia and in Thailand if I go there (not very good stuff, but shirts, trousers and safari jackets seem to be okay..not suits or jackets unless I just want them to cheaply copy some of my unstructured jackets. My work is pretty casual and sports jackets suit me just fine. 

Hope this reply helps. There are other brands but I cannot remember off hand right now. Aside from the mandatory sleeve length alteration, I usually spend time trying the jackets to see if they fit. Not only at the shoulders, the back (especially the base of the neck - too much extra fabric bunching up and that part may need alteration too (extra costs)- how the jacket hangs off my shoulders aside from the waist - i have a large waist, but the shoulders are important too.

No comments:

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...