Monday 29 June 2020

Today's Watch - Swatch Scuba Libre and Thoughts About the Pandemic and Beater Watches

It has actually been a while since I wrote something in here. The reason is that I have not been in the mood to talk about what I've been doing or what I have tried out recently. Most likely because I feel that I have already said what needs to be said and there are not much else to say. And in terms of reviewing stuff I've bought, I have so much stuff that are merely repeats...like more watches or shoes or shirts...etc. Sometimes, you don't have the mood to write about another watch, shoes etc. It does get to you.

But since we've been on a coronavirus lockdown and just emerging out of it, I think that I should start writing abit. Not much, as I don't know whether i will be in the mood or not but today I am writing about the Swatch Scuba Libre which you see me wearing in the photos. 

I bought this quite cheap at under RM190 or so at the Genting Premium Outlet a couple of years ago. It is Swatch's idea of a 'divers'.watch. It has a unidirectional rotating 60 minute large rotating bezel like most divers watches, it has a legible clean looking dial with clear 12, 9, 6 numerals with a date wheel at the 3 o'clock marker, and it looks chunky with it being quite tall and around 42mm diameter or thereabouts. 

But it has flaws if you want to consider it as a proper divers watch. Its crown isn't a screw in type even though its rated to 20 bar or 200metres and the lume absolutely sucks. More like nothing when its dark. It is so slight that it may ne nonexistent. Lucky the hands and dial design makes it legible enough at dusk. 

But because of this, it fails as a diver. However as a beater watch, it works perfectly as you can just trash the heck out of it. 
Like any basic Swatch except the Irony series it is fully plastic with exception of the quartz movement and battery cover. The crystal is a plastic one too and like all Swatches, you cannot access the movement unless you cut or break it open. 

This main drawback of a Swatch is that of it breaks, you have to throw in it away. As a disposable under Rm200 watch, it would do fine. Do rough stuff with it. Go on trips overseas and it won't hurt the wallet if it gets trashed or lost. It's affordable....To some people that is.

I like the Scuba Libre in that it looks like it took design cues from some trad 1950s diver watch in terms of dial and beEp design with deliberate funkier font sizes and bezel. And everything is plastic of course. 

It looks like what a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms would look like if it were plastic....if there was such a thing. With its slightly curved bezel and all. Surprisingly, I think that this line isn't too popular as I can't seem to find many people wearing them or Swatch stores keeping them in stock.

I think if I threw in a tan leather strap it would look its part. The only issie is that the Swatch only lug design requires a Swatch style strap. Since it's a beater watch, I am not too bothered to pimp it up. Yet.

One reason is that since the pandemic lockdown period, this watch is the only one seeing a lot of wrist time when I go out. Since its all plastic it does not get affected with all the lathering of alcohol based hand sanitizers which eventually could do damage to my leather and NATO nylon strap which are usually affixed to my watches.

As alcohol is corrosive, a beater watch is quite convinient to wear in times like these. So the Scuba Libre gets used often. 
Since there are less events or functions for me to attend, I usually go about in a polo t-shirt and cotton khakis. So not much dressing to really do and I do not go out much except to the grocers or for some other essential stuff. So this watch will suffice for now.

I however must say that while this is quite good as it has an analogue dial, a Casio Dw5600 Series G-shock with all of its digital could be a better buy and a better beater watch. It is the only G-shock which I like. It was the one used by Keanu Reeves in Speed and while as disposable as this, its case, or bezel can be replaced of it is cracked. Actually you can access the quartz movement too....which is always a plus point as you could get the movement replaced if it stops working. 

I have one. But my daughter has taken a liking to it and wears it quite a bit. Must go get another.

No comments:

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...