Sunday 24 April 2016

How things (do not) last: TUMI card holder with money clip



This is my TUMI cardholder with money clip that I had used almost every day since I purchased it at the Johor Premium Outlet sometime in December 2011. I think I bought it first time visiting JPO. It had just opened and TUMI was one of the first who opened up shop there.


Anyway, I have stopped using it as at February 2016 as you can see the wear and tear below.


The cardholder is made from leather and heavy duty woven nylon. You can see the steel clip innards protruding through the leather. The leather cover had given way at the stitching. I believe this is caused by friction of pushing and pulling paper currency and paper that I clip into the cardholder as well as when it rubs with other stuff when it is inside a pocket. 


The inside has also given way. The stitching which divides the top pocket inside and the two pockets at the side have come undone. It is still usable but I know that it has given way. 

The thing about small 'luxury' items is that they aren't built to last forever. Being a cardholder or wallet it usually sits inside our pockets of shirts, jackets or trousers. It is subject to friction as well as our sweat. But I think the people who designed this need to consider using tougher materials for this. The supposed fact of using ballistic nylon (ala military spec nylon) is defeated as the stitching that holds them together will eventually give way. The materials used are also cut as close as possible to the edge. This is also a weak point as eventually it does break away from the stress of pulling over the years.

Of course, if it didn't, these companies would have to close shop as you only need to buy one and it lasts for a lifetime or three. Repeat customers are always good for business. 

And so I have started using another cardholder. No. Not a TUMI anymore. Something else that I found at a bargain. It also does not come with an attached money clip as I found out that it protrudes too much for sitting flush in my pockets.



No comments:

...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...